Pascale’s Kitchen: Cauliflower & barley soup
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into 1 cm. pieces
- 2 carrots, sliced or cut into cubes (or 1 medium sweet potato)
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ a cauliflower, cut into small florets (cut stems into thin slices)
- 1 medium potato, cut into small pieces
- ½ - ¾ cup pearl barley (depending on how thick you want the soup to be)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or 2 Tbsp. chicken soup mix mixed into 6 cups of water
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, celery, carrot (or sweet potato) and garlic. Sauté for 1 or 2 minutes, then add the cauliflower and its stems and the potatoes. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
Add the barley, salt, pepper, cumin and chicken broth. Stir, then add water so that it reaches about ¾ of the pot. Stir again, then cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook for 90 minutes to 2 hours. You can add more water if it gets too thick. Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve hot.
Level of difficulty: Easy-medium Time: 2 hours Status: Meat (if chicken broth) or vegetarian (parve) if using a vegetable broth