Savoury Cheese Scones
How to make delicious savoury cheese scones, quick, simple, and delicious, easy step by step instructions, from start to finish.
By John Kirkwood, ProFoodHomemade . com, Oct 23, 2023
- 300g / 11oz Self raising flour
- Note: If using Plain or All-purpose flour, add an extra 2tsp of baking powder to the recipe, making a total of 3½tsp
- 80g / 2.8oz Cold Butter
- 130g / 4½ Mature Cheddar Cheese (Grated)
- 120g / 120mls Milk (full or half fat)
- 6g / 1½tsp Baking powder
- 3g / 1tsp Mustard powder
- 2g / ½tsp Turmeric
- 2g / ¼tsp Salt
- Extra cheese for topping
- Milk for glazing
- Before starting the recipe preheat your oven to 200°C / 392°F or gas mark 6.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients to a large bowl.
- Note: If you’re using plain or all-purpose flour, you need to add an extra 2 tsp of baking powder to the recipe.
- Add the cold butter to the bowl, and rub together until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Fold in the grated cheese with your fingers until it is evenly incorporated.
- Add the milk, and cut it in using a dinner knife.
- Gently fold the mixture together into a dough by hand, taking care not to over handle the dough.
- Handling the rolling pin lightly, gently roll the dough out into a rectangle approximately 2.5cm / 1in thick.
- Cut the dough into approximately 8 scones with a 6cm / 2½in scone cutter or knife.
- Place the scones on a greased baking tray, brush the tops with milk and add a little finely grated cheese on top, and underneath each one.
- Place the tray into the preheated oven and set your timer for 14 minutes, times may vary between 13 and 17 minutes due to varying temperatures of different ovens.
- When the time is up, remove from the oven when golden brown and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm, with lashings of butter.
For more directions watch the video